The Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP) provides long term care insurance to help pay for costs of care when enrollees need help with activities they perform every day or have a severe cognitive impairment, such as Alzheimer's disease.

Most Federal employees, active and retired members of the uniformed services, and their qualified relatives are eligible to apply for insurance coverage under the FLTCIP.  Most employees must be eligible for the FEHB Program in order to apply for coverage under the FLTCIP.  It does not matter if they are actually enrolled in FEHB - eligibility is the key.  Certain medical conditions, or combinations of conditions, will prevent some people from being approved for coverage.  You must apply to find out if you are eligible to enroll.

For more information about the FLTCIP, please contact Long Term Care Partners at 1(800)582-3337, or visit the website (www.ltcfeds.com)


The Federal Flexible Spending Account Program (FSAFeds) allows you to pay for certain health and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. You may choose to make a voluntary allotment from your salary to your FSAFeds account(s). You will not pay employment or income taxes on allotments, and your employing agency also avoids paying employment taxes.

There are three types of Flexible Spending Account (FSAs) offered by FSAFeds.  Each type has a minimum annual election of $250 and a maximum annual election of $5,000.

  • Health Care FSA (HCFSA) - Pays for eligible health care expenses (such as copayments, deductibles, over-the-counter medications and products, vision and dental expenses, and much more) for you and your dependents who are not covered or reimbursed by FEHBP or FEDVIP coverage or any other insurance.
  • Limited Expense Health Care FSA (LEX HCFSA) - Designed for employees enrolled in or covered by a High Deductible Health Plan with a Health Savings Account. Eligible expenses are limited to dental and vision care expenses for you and your dependents who are not covered or reimbursed by FEHB or FEDVIP coverage or any other insurance.
  • Dependent Care FSA (DCFSA) - Pays for eligible dependent care expenses for your child(ren) under age 13 or for dependents unable to care for themselves that allow you (and your spouse, if married) to work, look for work (as long as you have earned income for the year), or attend school full-time.

You have 60 days from your entry on duty to sign-up for FSA(s), or until October 1, whichever comes first. Applications for the current calendar year are not accepted from October 1 through December 31. If you wish to enroll after October 1, you will need to do so during Open Season for the following year.   Learn more by visiting: www.FSAFEDS.com.

Learn more about health benefits by visiting the OPM website and viewing the New/Prospective Employee’s Guide-Me page.