The Defense Threat Reduction Agency’s (DTRA) mission is to enable the Department of Defense (DoD), The United States Government and International partners to counter and deter weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and emerging threats.
DTRA serves two distinct, yet highly integrated roles as both a Defense Agency and a Combat Support Agency. Within the framework of these dual roles, we leverage our core functions, which enable us to detect, deter, and defeat threat across the spectrum.
As the lead Science and Technology developer and deliverer of rapid counter threat capabilities DTRA:
- Provides technology development and capability investments
- Leads DoD Science and Technology capabilities in Chemical Biological Technologies science and technology
- Develops Nuclear Technologies capabilities
- Identifies Research and Enabling capabilities
As a key developer of capabilities to counter current and emerging WMD threats, DTRA delivers:
- Medical therapeutics
- WMD detection capabilities
- Force protection technologies