The Defense Threat Reduction Agency’s (DTRA) mission is to enable the Department of Defense (DoD), The United States Government and International partners to counter and deter weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and emerging threats.
DTRA serves two distinct, yet highly integrated roles as both a Defense Agency and a Combat Support Agency. Within the framework of these dual roles, we leverage our core functions, which enable us to detect, deter, and defeat threat across the spectrum.
In supporting U.S. Treaty Implementation and Verification, DTRA:
Counters competitors’ influence with:
- Overseeing and managing activities supporting on-site inspections
- Monitoring operations
- Conducting escort activities
Implements arms control agreements such as:
- New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty
- Nuclear Testing Treaties
- Plutonium Production Reactor Agreement
- Conventional Armed Forces in Europe Treaty, and the
- International Atomic Energy Agency’s integrated Safeguards Agreements
Collaborates with international partners to:
- Support the U.S. as a preferred security partner of choice
- Deepen and strengthens key strategic partnerships.